Say NO to public transport in Bangalore - if you are going to ITPL

Or anywhere in between Marathalli and ITPL. At least, I, an avid supporter of environmentalism have vowed today that i'll drive a gas-guzzling big car to work with only the lone me sitting in it, but will not ride another BMTC bus to work.

I started working in this office (SAP Labs) 3 months back. The office is just 4.5 km from my home and being a temp assignment, taking the office bus is not an option. I was taking the BMTC buses, with intermittent patches of cycling to work (cycling albeit extremely satisfying, just does not feel safe on this heavy traffic route, so not a reliable option).

My experience with BMTC has been nothing noteworthy when i travelled on the 'towards city' routes. This was the first time I travelled towards ITPL.

This route is a "loot-these-rich-kids-they-won't-mind" route - a phenomenon rampant in Bangalore. All the buses are loaded with well dressed hard-working IT/ITES workers. even the high-end red Volvos are bursting at the doors, with people holding the handles of the movable doors to hang on..

The driver and conductor are in a rush to make money. Below are the ways they cheat BMTC as well as the passengers, and seems like BMTC does not care a hoot:

1. The conductor takes money from you for ticket and doesn't give you the ticket. Most of the time passengers don't bother to waste words for a piece of paper which is anyway of no use to them.

Personal experience:

(a) 335E khaki color bus: I asked for 'SAP Labs', the conductor asked 5 Rs. from me which I gave. No ticket, he just started moving away. I asked for the ticket, he asked me for 3Rs. more and then gave me the ticket! What just happened!

(b) 500K Volvo bus: The conductor starts taking money from everyone in a hurry, does not enter a single one in his ticketing machine. He does this for 30 odd passengers, then leans at the door, quietly looking out - hid job done. No one asks for the ticket. I ask for the ticket and he says he does not remember who gave how much money!!!! I said I gave you 15Rs. for the 'SAP Labs' stop. He says ok and hands me the ticket. After some time he tears away half a roll of ticket printing paper from his machine and just throws it away!! Dear BMTC, did you know this?!


2. The conductor takes money, gives ticket, but does not return your change. He just says I'll give it to you later. He does this with EVERY passenger! Every passenger has to constantly beg him that his stop is approaching and he needs his change! WHY?? In the hope that at least some passengers will either forget to ask or find it too measly an amount to keep asking! Dear BMTC, I hear you are the only profit-making transport corpn in India - are you paying your conductors/drivers? Why do they have to cheat like this??


3. Conductor gives you ticket for a bus-stop, but the driver does not stop at that bus-stop! Did you know that 'SAP Labs' is not a bus-stop??!! All these 3 months I did not know, because all the buses ticketed me for that stop and had been stopping there to offload us. (however the print on the volvo tickets would say 'sai baba hospital' which is the next stop after mine). For those of you from outside Bangalore, not all bus-stops in Bangalore have sign-boards saying this is a bus-stop.

TODAY WHAT HAPPENED: This was a khaki 335 route bus. The conductor jostled happily through the bus-front full of ladies (i appreciate the chennai bus conductors who sit in one place and passengers pass on the ticket money and ticket), came to me and said 'ticket ticket', i clearly told him 'sap labs', gave him Rs.10. He gave me a Rs.8 ticket, and returned the change after my asking - nothing unusual by now. When the SAP labs stop came and I requested the driver to stop, he looked at me and hit the switch to close the automatic door which was open all the while!!! I asked what happened he said this is not a bus-stop, i asked why didn't the conductor tell me that, i would've got ticket for the previous stop (Rs.5). The conductor shouted from the back saying he doesn't have to tell such things, just get down at the next stop.

So he opened the door only at the next stop. I walked back to 'sap labs' on the highway which has no footpath, with oncoming rush-hour traffic of many cars, buses & two-wheelers.

I have vowed to do 3 things:

1. Lodge a complaint to BMTC for this bus no. KA01-FA-1087, route HAL to ITPL.

2. Not take another public bus on this route, ever again. These 3 months i have stood on one leg in the crowded buses, clutching on to my heavy laptop bag, feeling good that I am doing the best I can for the environment. Today onward I will drive my air-conditioned gas-guzzler instead - right from my apartment basement to office basement.

3. Encourage everyone who can afford a car/bike, to take it to work if you work in ITPL and around. Just like most of us self-respecting Bangaloreans avoid using Autos because the shabby way they treat their passengers, if BMTC does nothing about its buses, they would soon run only with citizens who don't care or can't afford to care. The rest can afford their self-dependence - to hell with the pollution in Bangalore city.

12 comments:

Bangalore Praja said...

See this recent post on BMTC as well:

http://bangalore.praja.in/discuss/forums/2009/05/public-transportbmtc

I wonder if BMTC is doing anything to address the grievances it collects! Just following the examples set in neighbouring states such as Tamilnadu where inspectors for checking ticketing lapses are deployed frequently, will go a long way!

Unknown said...

Hey Sangs
I'm just amazed .... a HI-TECH city --- but in many way no Hi-Tech at all.
After my initial days experience - I have vowed I will never take an auto. Expensive i prefer to book a cab that too from reputed agencies - Meru, CellCabs....
I think if time permits - we would need to call TV 9 people and do an episode of this route and expose them.
Thanks Lady for sharing these views.

TIA said...

Posting my email as a comment. Hope it helps your readers.

I used to travel in BMTC buses during school and college and have learnt to be street smart (plus knowledge of Kannada helps a lot – you get locals’ support).

I would support you in any way I can to lodge a complaint. The last time I did, I lodged the complaint at the main depots: Shivajinagar/Majestic (now Kempegowda Bus stop). Majestic is where all the main BMTC officials are.

A few thoughts:
1. When the conductor does not return change: In college we learned to stand near the driver and ask him to wait till we got the change from the conductor
2. Always demand your ticket.
3. 335E khaki color bus: I asked for 'SAP Labs', the conductor asked 5 Rs. from me which I gave. No ticket, he just started moving away. I asked for the ticket, he asked me for 3Rs. more and then gave me the ticket! What just happened!
> This is how the conductors work: They take partial cost of the ticket and don’t give you a ticket. The understanding is this: if we give u a ticket u need to pay the full amount. If you travel ticket less with the blessing of the conductor you get to pay only half the amount. The money goes into the conductor’s pocket and govt has no idea bcos the ticket has not been given out.
4. Most techies are not locals. They are scared to argue with the conductor.
5. Do find out from either Shivajinagar bus stand or majestic whether there is a bus stop at Labs. If there is, demand that the bus stop and threaten to complain.

Venkat K said...

Good you have spoken about your frustrations.

We should write to the newspapers about this and hope a reporter picks this up. Time to stop the BMTC conductors too becoming like Bangalore auto wallahs.

I am writing to Indian Express editorial about this today.

Good luck and I hope your car gathers dust.

Venkat

How do we know said...

though today, in yr rant, you will say the hell with bangalore pollution.. if i know you at all, as soon as the dust is settled, you re very likely to do your bit again.. thats the thing abt u..

Re. this experience.. it is horrid. Bangalore has changed and not in one nice way. I have no idea how u can take this to the authorities.

There is one other such harrowing experience - this time with a hospital. You can read abt it on my blog or do a google for Rashmi's story Wockhardt. I have been hopping mad since reading it yesterday.

San said...

@ Bangalore Praja: Thanks for that informative link, seems like the dissent is quite widespread.

@Hima: You are right.. The tech is there, the high standards are not.. This route surely needs attention.

@Tia: Thanks for those useful tips - knowing the local language surely helps! Perhaps a reason why most passengers on this route don't want to get into a tiff - we are not well-versed in the local language..

@Venkat: Let's see if IE takes up the cause - BMTC would not be happy..!

@ HDWK: Thanks for that show of faith girl..Yeah I won't drive the car like i said, starting the two-wheeler license process in right earnest.
I read Rashmi's story.. it's extremely saddening, should not happen to anyone.. TO think how helpless we are when it comes to the medical system..

San said...

Thanks to Mundra, found the link for lodging BMTC complaints - http://www.bmtcinfo.com/english/complaints.htm.
Below is the complaint email sent.



Subject: Rampant Ticketing lapses in BMTC buses
To: ctmobmtc@gmail.com
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 10:03 AM

Hello Sir, I am an avid supporter of public transport and try to avail of the same instead of driving a personal vehicle to work.

However, I have been noticing rampant ticketing lapses in all BMTC buses (including the volvos). An unhappy incident that happened with me yesterday was the last straw that broke the camel's back, and I bring all of these to your kind attention. With the hope that you will take action. Below are the incidents:

1. The conductor takes money from passenger for ticket and doesn't give the ticket. <.....>

2. The conductor takes money, gives ticket, but does not return passenger's change. <.....>

3. Conductor gives you ticket for a bus-stop, but the driver does not stop at that bus-stop! <.....>

I would like to lodge complaint in specific against the Bus KA01-FA-1087, route HAL to ITPL. <.....>

Will this complaint get any remedy. I am hopeful. Until then I shall drive my car to work, adding to the burgeoning traffic of Bangalore.

Warm Regards,
<.....>

Purnima said...

And I was thinking that Chennai PTC buses were intolerable!! You seem to have had a rough deal Sangeetha. The feeling of helplessness in these situations frustrate me the most. Do keep us posted if there was any feedback from BMTC on the complaint that you sent them

Rajs said...

Hi

you can try logging thru the following URL as well - http://www.pgportal.gov.in/

I never tried it myself, but I heard stories that logging here really works.

Rajs

San said...

@Rajs: Thanks for that link. It is just in time as I was looking for the email I had received earlier with this link. Have lodged my grievance there.

@Purnima: Helpless is the word. Will surely update here when i get a response.

San said...

Update on this topic: Have got no response. Wrote to ChangeIndia today.

San said...

Noting the grievance no. here on http://pgportal.gov.in/ (Ministry of Road Transport and Highways):
MORTH/E/2009/01680

Complaint appeal text:
There is no use of building a Metro or other public transport options, if such bad experiences drive passengers out of buses and into their cars - clogging up the traffic. Why is no checking done in Bangalore to see if a passenger has ticket? This is done very frequently in TamilNadu and penalty imposed on the spot. Why do Bangaloreans have to live with such blatant corruption.

I beg for your attention and action.

With Respect and Hope,